Thursday, January 3, 2008

Two Landscapes for Practice

A few weeks ago I was hunting out in the Texas hill country and experienced a clearning storm during sunrise. It was cold (nearly freezing) and the wind was blowing hard. But the light and clouds inspired me so much that I just had to take a few photos.



Now these are not my best work, nor are they interesting landscapes. But it was practice. I went through the motions of scouting around for a composition that best captured the glory of that morning (it had been cold, rainy, and gray for several days prior, and the break in the bad weather and return of the sun was elating). I set my camera and tripod up, repositioned over and over as I found new compositions, and shot many images.

I felt rusty and out of touch with the camera and the whole shooting process. I fumbled with things stubbornly until I was properly set up and clicking the shutter. The process smoothed out just as the sweet light ended and it was time to leave.

So my point is this: I need more practice! This isn't a revelation for me but merely an observation. Something I need to work on...

No comments:

Post a Comment