Saturday, December 21, 2013

Workshop Update for 2014

Due to several factors in my personal and work life, I'm moving the 2014 Big Bend workshop to October. The revised details are:


Dates: Oct. 21 - 25, 2014
Tuition: $550
Students: 10
Location: based in the Big Bend area of remote west Texas






I will also alter the structure of the workshop slightly from previous years. The changes will be:


- Our time in the classroom will be cut down. We will meet an hour a day, or two hours every other day, or however it works out at the time. But we will not spend the majority of the mid-day hours in the classroom as in prior workshops.


- I will shoot in the field along side you. However, I will make myself available to you at all times. If you need me, I will help you.


I'm making changes based on feedback on previous workshops. We do a significant amount of driving and moving around because the Big Bend area is a huge place. Trying to cram in a lot of classroom time is difficult, and the end result is folks being a lot more tired than necessary. Plus workshop participants need more time to get supplies, eat, and rest. Just getting food in the area can take a long time. (it's all on "desert time"... very similar to "island time", if you're familiar with that concept :-)


Our shooting locations are also large in area and we are usually the only people there. Workshop participants tend to spread out quite a bit, and having me float around to each person during a shoot is not easy. I will position myself as best possible (middle of the group) and be available, but if no one needs me (which happens 50% of the time) then I will shoot for myself.


These changes are based on past workshops and also a recent private guided shoot that I gave in Big Bend. The guided shoot was like a workshop, but we only had about 2 hours of classroom time (total) and I shot for myself in the field. The end result was quite good. Folks enjoyed it very much and came away with amazing photos.


So, I'm going to transition my workshops to be somewhere in between a classic workshop (as I've conducted in the past) and a guided shoot (where you simply have a leader take you around to various places to shoot).






I will send announcements out to those who have expressed interest. If you want to be placed on my announcement list, please contact me.


Once I finalize the details with the motel, then I will take on students and require a deposit of $200. Please stay tuned for that announcement.


This workshop will focus on night photography of the stars and land-based objects as well as classic daylight landscape photography. We will shoot within and just outside of Big Bend National Park.


The schedule for this workshop is around a new moon. The skies will be very dark and moonless after sunset allowing us to see and photograph the Milky Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment