Wednesday, August 18, 2010

AR 19 - Equivalence, Deer, and Sound

It's still hot here, in case anyone's forgotten. Yesterday topped out about 98°F and around 50% humidity. Yuck.




click for larger image


I've been reading about Minor White and Equivalence (see this link for more info.). In the past, I've come across scenes that have stirred some old thought or feeling, and I have thought about trying to capture it in a photo. It's not a new concept of course, but it's new to me and neat to discover that it in photographic history. I don't know where I'm going with this, it's just interesting.




click for larger image


The banana spiders do this thing when it's really hot. They orient their bodies so that their long abdomens are pointed towards the sun. This minimizes the amount of surface area being directly lit and therefore helps to keep their bodies from heating up even more.


I've seen them just raise their abdomens, or in this case (see below) dangle from their webs. It's really creepy because it looks like the spider is dead and about to drop. I try not to walk directly underneath these guys :-)




click for larger image


I came across a buck just inside the treeline along the trail. He spooked and ran but then stopped to watch me. I managed a quick, bad photo. It's good enough to see that his antlers are still in velvet.




click for larger image


And, finally, continuing with the audio recording... I realized a big mistake that I'd made in my recent recordings. I'll do a separate post later to talk about it. For now, here are two clips taken on the walk:


- Birds and Distant Thunder (MP3 file, 0.2 MB)
- Birds and Cicadas (MP3 file, 0.3 MB)

No comments:

Post a Comment