Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Dove at 1254mm

The second installment of the photo diary continues today with a little fun from my backyard.

Here's a non-cropped shot of a white-wing dove sitting 30 - 40 feet away from me. This was taken at 1254mm (effective): Canon 40D with 400mm f/5.6 lens and two 1.4x teleconverters. The lens stack-up has a max. aperture of f/11, and I stopped down one stop from max. for this photo (f/16 effective). This was taken at ISO 400, 1/320 sec. shutter speed, locked down on a heavy tripod, and MLU engaged.



click for larger pic
I don't normally shoot with two tc's attached, but I wanted to test this setup just to satisfy my own curiosity. I thought the resulting photo would look like it was taken through the thick bottom of a glass bottle (after all, the image is going through a lot of glass before it reaches the sensor), but the results are better than I expected. Stopping down once helped increase the sharpness and contrast, but there was still a slight loss. Most of the loss was cleaned up in Photoshop.

Anyway, this was just for fun! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment