Monday, October 17, 2016

What Happened to the Take-Everywhere Camera?

Technology moving forward. That's what.


I was in the habit of always having a dedicated camera with me as I went about my day. Usually it was a small point-and-shoot digital camera.


I used a Canon G11 for a while and then later picked up a Sony RX100. Both were good cameras, but the RX100 was exceptional in that it produced better image quality (specfically lower noise at higher ISO settings) and it was actually small enough that I could put it in my pants pockets.


About two years ago I got a new phone: a Nexus 6. The image quality of the cell phone cameras I'd had previously was so bad that I'd only use them for very quick snapshots and documentary type purposes.


The image quality from the Nexus 6 was quite amazing. So good, in fact, that I began to carry my Sony RX100 around less and less. And now it's come to the point where I hardly use the RX100.


The RX100 is still better than the phone when it comes to image quality. However, the Nexus 6 gets the job done for most situations considering my needs.


Recently I enjoyed a nice sunrise from my office window and took out the old RX100.

And then I shot the same scene with the phone.

The phone's HDR mode and default processing made the shot a little too saturated in comparison (and I could have fixed that later). But it's quite impressive to see how a cell phone camera handled that scene especially compared to older cell phone camera tech.


So, I still carry a camera with me at all times (my phone) :-) it's just a matter of putting it to use! I.e. get out and photograph things!

No comments:

Post a Comment