Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Stop. Just Stop.

How many times has something attracted your attention and that little voice in your head spoke to you? You know, the one that tells you to stop for a photo?

Call it photographer's intuition. If you haven't yet, it's something you should learn to tune in to.

I struggle with it. There's always something catching my eye that I might process for a moment and think about whether or not I want to stop and attempt to make a photo.

It's usually the second part of that process that gets me into trouble. If I think too much about whether or not to stop for it, it being the shiny sparkly sight that's pulled me out of my usual daze, then I'm likely to over-think the situation and pass it up.


Slow down and enjoy the scene? Or speed up and blast through it? :-)
click to enlarge

I've regretted the things I've passed up. And I've enjoyed and been rewarded for most of the things I've stopped and made time for.

There's some advice I can offer here, and this advice is pointed mainly at myself. I have to remember these things every time I go out.

1. Allow yourself extra time. If going from Point A to B, then add a bit of extra time so that stopping for a photo doesn't disrupt your schedule.

2. Don't have high expectations. Don't have any expectations. Some scenes work out great. Some don't. The main point to all of this is to exercise your photographic eye and practice the photographic process. And you might also have fun doing it. I know I always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment