Thursday, January 30, 2014

Being Prepared

A big part of taking successful photos is the combination of the right opportunity and being prepared with the right equipment. I found myself witnessing a spectacular sunrise this morning from my office at work, but I'd left my trusty Sony RX100 in my truck. (I thought about using the camera on my phone, but it is pretty bad at capturing scenes that have a wide dynamic range and intense color.)


I sprinted down four flights of stairs, jogged out to the parking garage, ran up five flights of stairs, retrieved the camera, and then it was just a bit too late.




Just prior to the sun popping over the horizon, the low cloud blanket was glowing intensely with hues of yellow, orange, and pink. The sky was on fire, as they say, but the show did not last long. It all happened in the time it took for me to make my way from my office building out to the multi-story garage.


I then looked for reflections off our glass-clad building (which can be pretty interesting combining geometric patterns and light) but didn't find a scene I liked. Looking west, away from the sunrise caught reflections in distant buildings.




The lesson learned is simple. Being prepared makes a difference. Interesting scenes tend to not last long and don't repeat themselves.


The scenes that unfolded before me this morning were not really that spectactular, however it was fun and healthy to engage in a photographic process for just a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment