Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Storage and Backup

Ever have a hard drive fail? Ever worry about your photo files?
I don't think I've ever been comfortable with my storage system. But then what would give me absolute reassurance that a storage system was 100% reliable?

My system has evolved over the years. I've used combinations of hard drives, CDs and DVDs, and archival CDs and DVDs. One thing is certain, for any given system to work in a feasible and friendly way, it has to easily accommodate an exponentially increasing amount of data. And because of this I have long since given up on optical media.

The big thing these days is cloud storage. But I don't trust that any more than I do having a hard drive stored in a remote location.

So for now, I'm content with having my work on multiple hard drives stored in two different locations. It's a good thing that hard drive technology has advanced steadily through the years along with my ever increasing stash of image files :-)

P.s. Yes I've had drives fail. The pic above is one example. It fell victim of my curiosity and tools.

2 comments:

  1. You need a system called Drobo. It is relatively inexpensive, it can house multiple drives and you can add more or larger drives to expand capacity and it will let up to three drives fail before catastrophe, giving you ample time to fix. The fix for a failed drive is replacing it with another one, that's it, they are "hot swappable". Hope this helps. If you need any help or advice, just email me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I do know about Drobo. I've done a little research into it. I'm going to invest in a larger and better NAS soon for my home system, and I am considering a Drobo.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete