Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Audio Learning Curve

Earlier this summer I bought an H2 Zoom digital audio recorder.






It's somewhat small (pocketable, if you have big pockets and don't mind a substantial bulge in the side of your pants). I bought a protective silicon jacket for it. It's not smooth and that makes it easy to grip and hold, but it's rubberiness makes it a pain to slide in and out of your pockets.


I've made several recordings of ambient sounds. Capturing sound with this device is fairly easy (i.e. it's an intuitive and simple device) but as with anything, there's a learning curve.


I'm far away from being a novice at sound recording, but here are some things I've learned so far:


- The H2 has sets of microphones, each set is suited for a particular application and the rear set captures a field at 120° - this is about right for what I've been recording.
- The Low/Med/High microphone gain switch is very important - "High" is necessary to get ambient noises such as birds and insects at a somewhat decent level. This switch is very easy to accidentally bump and change.
- The recording levels flash on-screen in real time. These need to be considered when attempting to get a recording at an acceptable sound level. It's a lot like looking at the histogram on a digital camera.
- The recorder is very sensitive to handling noise. My cleanest recordings have come from setting the thing down somewhere and not touching it while it records.
- It picks up everything, especially when it's in high sensitivity mode. Distant planes and vehicles plus any movement I make (footsteps, breathing, sniffling, etc.) get captured.


I've had fun with it and enjoy the results, and I'll keep on going up the learning curve, hopefully. And maybe I'll use it for recording my own thoughts on photography ;-)


(Hope that answers all Kent's questions :-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment