Wednesday, July 21, 2010

AR 16 - Dragonflies, etc.

The woods are hot, swampy, and full of mosquitoes right now.




click for larger images


I saw two large dragonflies at battle. The green one hit the pavement after a rough tangle with the blue one.




click for larger images


The blue one (above picture) is in flight but hovering (sorry, it's a tight crop and a bad photo). The one on the ground flew off when I tried to gently move it off the pavement. It then was immediately hit in a mid-air dive-bomb by the blue one (the blue one had hovered about and waited while I was photographing the green one on the ground). They both flitted off, tangled together in battle.




click for larger images


I came across a bunch of purple passionflowers. These bizarre looking blooms caught my eye and I just had to stop for a photo (and drip sweat on the camera and let the mosquitoes bite me).


Benefits of the Project


I think I'm starting to see the benefits of this project (more of an exercise, really). On our recent trip to Colorado, I did a lot of photography while on the move with the family. I had little time to actually photograph and when I did finally grab some time to make pictures, I had to move fast, get it done quick, and continue on with the family.


I felt somewhat rushed, but then I also felt that I found plenty of things to photograph and was more satisfied with the photos than the photos from previous trips like that. The thing that has helped the most is being able to quickly see a subject that I want to photograph and then quickly and efficiently find a composition to feature that subject.


When I photograph on my afternoon walks, the photography is done on-the-move and quickly. I've learned how to see things on approach and how (and when) to stop myself to take a picture. That's one of the main points - when to stop and also making yourself stop (how many times have you passed up something interesting and later regretted it?).


Reminder: NEW BLOG!


Just a quick reminder that I've started a new photo blog to feature only photos. I've posted a bunch already:
www.texbrick.com/photo/photoblog

No comments:

Post a Comment