Monday, November 9, 2009

Night Sky Time Lapse

And now for something completely different:




6MB .WMV Video - click to watch



This is a short video made from 297 photos taken over a period of nearly 45 minutes. Each photo was 8 seconds long (shot at 24mm, f/1.8, ISO 12.8k), and there was a break of 1 second between frames.


I turned off the long exposure noise reduction, but turned on the high ISO noise reduction. It did help some, but I still applied noise reduction in post processing. The files were shot as small JPGs. I contemplated shooting sRAW, but didn't want to deal with file sizes 4 to 5 times larger than a fine quality JPG.


This was an experiment to see if it could be done, and I think it worked quite well. The movie is a little jerky - probably a resut of 0.125 sec. per frame (i.e. 8 frames per second video). I'd like to redo this in the future with different software and perhaps make it faster (maybe 15 frames per second).

2 comments:

  1. This is too cool, see you soon packing as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike! I enjoyed our week in Big Bend. Wish we could have spent more time out there :-)

    ReplyDelete