Monday, September 28, 2009

More from Guadalupe Mtns National Park

Most of my time in the Guadalupe Mountains was spent hiking. A lot of my photos from the hike were taken on the move.


I really did not have time to set up my tripod and work on the composition like I usually do. So, I did one of three things: 1) stopped and practiced steady posture (elbows in, feet slightly apart, etc.), 2) sat down and planted my elbows on top of my legs, or 3) used my hiking pole as an informal monopod.




Pine Springs Canyon
click for larger image



Despite the apparent rush on photography, I did previsualize a lot of photos. I would see something interesting in the distance (e.g. an interesting foreground or a potentially good view) and then studied it as I approached it. Most times the potential shot wouldn't turn out and I skipped photographing it, but a few of them were worth stopping for.


I stayed in the back of our group and would stop for a minute or two while I worked on a shot. I then hiked at a quick pace to catch back up to them.




Shumard Peak
click for larger image



We hiked during fairly harsh lighting conditions. I focused mainly on the strong forms of the mountains and tried to previsualize my photos in black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment