Friday, February 27, 2009

Walking Goals

It's been a very long time since I've posted an update on my walking progress. My walking program kind of fell apart last May when I twisted my ankle badly and it hurt for a month. Then it was just too bloody hot here. Then we had a hurricane. Then my IT band beside my right knee started acting up and hurt like hell. Then the baby came.....


I guess I could go on with excuses, but the short of it is that I didn't reach my goal of walking 1000 miles in 2008.


Oh, one other excuse: we cancelled our lawn service last spring and I started to take care of it myself again. This cut into my walking time, but it also made me exercise (I don't turn on the self-propel on the lawnmower - makes it much harder).


Anyway, here is the grand total:
Jan. 1 through Dec. 31 2008 = 408 miles


Interestingly, between Nov. 26, 2007 (the date when I started my hard-core walking program) and Nov. 25, 2008, I walked 508 miles. So, that's half of my 1000 mile per year goal, but done in an offset year period.


I didn't lose any weight, but I didn't gain any either. I'm just about exactly where I was one year ago. I guess it's good that I haven't gained weight :-)


I've picked up walking seriously again this year. I've made about 44 miles this month (and 58 miles total since Jan. 1). It's a slow start, but I'm on it...


My goal for this year? Realistically, I think 500 miles is a safe bet, but I'll try for 600 or 700. We'll see...

2 comments: