Thursday, September 18, 2008

Terlingua Ghost Town

I'm very slowly processing my photos from our recent trip to Big Bend National Park. My progress is hampered by the cleaning up needed after Hurricane Ike. I can't complain, at least we have power and Internet! As I write (5 days after the storm hit), about 60% of people in the Houston area still don't have power. A good chunk of them won't have power until possibly next week.




Church in the Terlingua Ghost Town


Canon 5D, 17-40mm f/4L, tripod
13 seconds at 27mm, f/8, ISO 200


This was taken about 30 minutes after sunset, September 5th. My wife and I love this little church. We've stopped by several times over the years since our first visit four years ago. The church appears active and is slowly being restored. We considered renewing our vows there (the 5th was our 10-year anniversary), but didn't want to make firm plans because she's 8 months pregnant and we weren't sure the trip out there would even happen.


The Ghost Town is a neat place to wonder around after dark. It's a great place for night photography.

2 comments:

  1. I like this a lot. The exposure is just right, with nice color in the sky and a nice balance between ambient light on the foreground, artificial light on the building, and the sky itself. If this is a multi-exposure blend, you can't tell; the result is extremely natural.

    The composition is also pleasing and well-balanced, with the two buildings creating a near/far relationship for the eye to follow, and the clouds/moon providing interest in the sky to avoid too much empty space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Jeff. It was indeed one exposure, although I processed the RAW file twice - once as-shot and then again with -1 stop exposure. I blended in the darker frame mostly for the sky (to make it look more like night) and a little in the bottom and corners for some vignetting.

    I didn't have a lot of time, everyone else that was with me was ready to leave asap. It was late and we were all pretty tired. I glanced at the histogram after the shot and it looked like it got the whole DR of the scene, so I called it a night!

    ReplyDelete