Friday, July 18, 2008

Spectacular Hill Country Sunset

I experienced an amazing suset during my trip to the High Lonesome Ranch two months ago. The skies had been mostly overcast that day and also the day before. About 15 minutes before sunset, I noticed a clearing in the clouds just above the western horizon. The low and heavy cloud "blanket" looked fairly static, so I guesstimated that the setting sun would likely drop down into the clearing and light the place up.


Sure enough, it did.


I ran down to a normally dry creekbed that was flooded with recent rains to experience this event. Within moments, everthing was glowing in golden sunset light. It was amazing. Then, fat raindrops starting falling as if on cue. It had not rained the whole day, but just after the sunlight appeared, it happened.




sunset rainbow
(click for larger pic)



A very strong rainbow appeared due east. It was spectacular. It was one of those moments that take your breath away.


It's not often that I get to experience scenes like this. I was fortunate to catch a nice sunset and an order of magnitude more fortunate to see a rainbow at the same time.


The low cloud blanket lit up across the sky, from the west to the east, and the sunset colors were nicely reflected by the clouds behind the rainbow.


The rainbow stayed strong for as long as the sunlight was directly hitting the eastern clouds. Shortly after the sun dipped below the horizon, the rainbow faded. I turned to face west and was greeted by another nice light show.



light show
(click for larger pic)



The rest of my photos from this trip can be found HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment