Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Awesome Skies

Our weather pattern lately has produced some amazing skies. We've had isolated thunderstorms almost everyday, usually in the late afternoon.


Two weeks ago, I observed an amazing thunderhead to the southeast of our neighborhood as I took a late evening hour-long walk. The western sky was mostly clear, so the massive thunderhead cloud was brilliantly illuminated. The giant formation seemed to boil with activity and even showed off a patch of impressive mammatus clouds (what we often call hail clouds, or specifically, hail-producing clouds; not sure if that's true, but hail often forms in conditions like this). As the sun set, the entire cloud structure glowed yellow, orange, and then pink.


Sorry, no photos of it :-( I didn't have my camera with me. By the time I got home, the whole light show was done. Plus the view from my backyard is very limited with all the tall pine trees around us.


The next night, an almost equally impressive thunderstorm formed in almost the same location at the same time :-) Weird.. but this has been a regular pattern lately. I did manage to take some photos, but a lot of low-level gray clouds moved in and obscured my view of the thunderhead.




click for larger, expanded image

(yes, that's a plane)



The sunrises and sunsets have been pretty impressive too. This morning was the best one I've seen in weeks. I managed to get a few shots with my little pocket camera (Fuji F30) on my way to work.




click for larger image



I wished that I could have been in a more scenic location to get these photos. There are several bayous around and I could have made use of water as a foreground. Oh well... Gotta earn a living. No one's paying me to take these photos.




click for larger image


No comments:

Post a Comment