Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Week 4, ‘08

January 29nd, 2008
Summary of Miles Walked:
- This Week: 21.2
- Since Jan. 1: 75.8
- Since Nov. 26, 2007: 176

The notable news from this past week is that I walked in a 25K race (The 25K Endurathon in Bulverde, north of San Antonio). I actually did about 27K due to a wrong turn, but I'll get to that in a minute. Tanya competed too, but she ran. She did quite well, I thought considering her bad knee pain, finishing in 155 minutes (exactly 10 minute miles).

The course was great! The hills hurt... a lot (I'm from Houston and we don't have those strange, inclined surfaces :-) The scenery was pretty (can't beat the hill country). The post-race food and drink was awesome. Breakfast tacos and beer never tasted so damn good!!!

But here's a little advice for anyone who is thinking about doing this race for the first time as a walker (note that this was me last Saturday - yes, I was the large, sweaty man in a maroon shirt and white cap):

1. Despite the race info packet and the website stating that they encourage walkers to start an hour early, expect that no one will know what you're talking about when you show up 10 - 15 mintues before the early start and ask where the walkers go to start. You'll get some confused looks. Just find the head race coordinator.

2. Because you'll be starting ~1 hr early, expect that no one out on the course (manned aid stations) will be expecting you, and will ask you what the hell you're doing. Don't stop for questioning, just keep going. Also, there will be no police stationed on the course until after the official race start time.

3. The mile markers and U-turns are marked with nice, professionally printed signs that include the race sponsor's logo. Everything else is marked with white flour poured on the road surface. No, that is not a joke. Is it suspicious white powder left by terrorists? No! It's a race course. (If you're not familiar with what white flour poured in the shape of an arrow looks like, it's suspiciously similar to the white spray-painted arrows left by the GVTC utility company close by.)

4. Take a map with you. Take a cell phone with you. Take some patience and some Motrin.

Many, MANY, thanks to the two guys who pulled over and informed me that I was about 1.5 miles off course and then gave me a lift back to the wrong turn that I'd made. Turns out they were runners (due to start the official race in roughly 30 minutes) that were driving the course first to check things out. They'd missed the turn as well!

And, to set the record straight, I added 1.4 miles to my "personalized" course, thus bringing my total mileage to 16.9 miles. According to my trusty iPod clock, I accomplished this mis-feat in 229 mintues. That's 13.6 minute-miles. My shins, hamstrings, and butt are thanking me for it right now ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment