Monday, October 15, 2007

New LEGO Set

I bought a new LEGO set this past weekend. This is the first set I've purchased in about a year, and this marks the first time that I was more interested in the alternate model than the main model.



The picture above is actually the alternate model - a tractor. The main model (a buggy/racer type of vehicle) just didn't appeal to me.I was a little disappointed at first when shopping for the set. I just had a hankering to buy a set, but I didn't know what I wanted nor what the current selection was like. I'm a little behind on the latest offerings from LEGO.

All the Technic sets appeared to be a bit lifeless. From the photos and info printed on the boxes, I could not really tell what sort of intricate and interesting mechanisms lived inside the models. It's always been a selling point for me - the more mechanical functions a model has, the better. It also gives me a better idea of the parts selection (the MAIN reason why I buy sets).

But LEGO did not disappoint. The model contained a few interesting mechanical features, including one of my favorties: a clutch system used to engage/disengage power from a certain feature. In this case, the clutch allows the "farm implement" (the mechanical thingy hanging off the rear of the tractor) to be turned on (couples it with the drive train so that it's powered when the tractor moves forward or back) or off.

I'm not sure why the large Technic models were "dumbed-down" on print. LEGO surely snuck in a few good mechanical features (although not too complex) that weren't really advertised well on the box. They also gave the model very nice styling and appearance without using too many useless parts (i.e. large purpose-made pieces that only work on a particular model).

Now, if they'd just get back to using the classic Technic beams (the ones with holes AND studs), I'd be very happy! :-)

p.s. In case you don't know, I'm a huge fan of LEGO: www.texbrick.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment