Thursday, October 25, 2007

Ultimate Photo: Inside a Tornado

I've been watching the new Storm Chasers series on the Discovery Channel with much enthusiasm. A group of storm chasers have teamed up with a group of photographers that created the TIV (Tornado Intercept Vehicle). If you haven't seen or heard of this thing yet, just do a Google search for it. I won't go into the details, but it's very exciting (and partly insane).

I've thought for some time now that one of the most interesting and extreme photos ever taken would be from the interior of a tornado. People often have wondered about 'ultimate photos'. Some of them have come to pass. Seeing the Earth rise from behind the moon was an ultimate photo visualized long before it actually happened.

I was fascinated with tornadoes growing up (and I guess I still am). I checked out all the books on tornados from the local and school libraries and read them multiple times. One aspect of the tornado stories that caught the most attention from me was witness accounts of surviving a tornado. In some rare cases, people were exposed and were able to look up into the tornado from the inside - and they lived to tell the story!

This ultimate experience was visualed in the movie Twister some years ago. The final scenes of the movie show the main characters surviving a direct hit from a massive F5 tornado, including a shot up into the twister.

It should be just a matter of time before someone captures video or stills from inside a tornado. I look forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment